Posted by: Boerboel | 2009-01-04

How soon after whelping can a bitch be spayed. Also, I understand it' s normal for a bitch to skip a season immediately after a litter, but do exceptions occur?

Dear Boerboel

Spay her a few weeks after the pups are weaned.

Posted by: WR | 2009-01-05

She should come on heat same as normal - my bitch every six months - whether she had pups or not.

Reply to WR
Posted by: Boerboel | 2009-01-04

Thanks for the reply, I still wonder what comments the CV has though.

Reply to Boerboel
Posted by: Chill | 2009-01-04

As far as I know, she should come into season again as normal and I certainly wouldn' t bank on her skipping one. Wait for the puppies to be weaned before spaying - as long as you do it before the 6 months, she' ll be ok.

Reply to Chill