Question
Posted by: Belinda | 2008/10/04

Spayed German Shepard

Hi. My German Shepard was spayed last year. A section of her incision area never healed properly after stitches were removed. It keeps opening and oozing on the one end. Have had her back at vet twice since then and paid each time for him to operate again and clean area out and remove scar tissue etc. It is now doing the same thing again. He never tells me what he found as each time I go to fetch her, he is not available. What is going on and how do I prevent it as obviously she needs to go back again. Please help as I love her and do not want to put her through painful procedures when there are alternatives.

Dear Belinda

She is probably over- reacting to the stitches he used to close the muscle layers. Eventually she will dissolve the stitches and she should be fine. If he used stitches that do not dissolve the problem may persist. I think ask him to discuss the type of stitches that he used with you and do not be fobbed off with him not being available.

2
Posted by: v | 2008/10/08

take her 2 another vet for a second opinion. the problem is going on far 2 long.....

Reply to v
Posted by: Chill | 2008/10/04

Doesn' t your vet have a phone?

If this happened to my dog, there is no way I' d go away without talking to the vet, preferably in person, but otherwise on the phone. In any case, my vet' s practice makes a standard appointment with the vet himself for the time you come to collect your dog, precisely so that you can be given whatever feedbank and instructions are necessary.

Have a chat to the vet before you book her in for more surgery. You have every right to know what' s going on, and what is causing this problem.

I' d be interested to hear what he says, so if you get a chance, let us know!

Reply to Chill