Posted by: Lara | 2009-06-11

Spastic Diplegia

My son is 22 months old and has just been dianosed with spastic diplegia. I am battling to understand this and would like to find how this could of happened. I have read that causes can be premature birth etc. I had an amnio during my pregnancy and the results were inversion of chromosome 9 - could this be associated with spastic diplegia?Please help.

Hallo Lara
Spastic means stiff or contracted. The word Diplegia breaks down into "di," meaning two, and "plegia," the Latin word for weakness. Therefore, spastic diplegia means stiff or contracted muscles affecting two extremities causing weakness. <10% of SD cases are caused by injury at birth. Many cases of SD are caused by infections or trauma or a shortage of oxygen while the baby is still in the womb. It does not seem to be associated with chromosome 9 abnormalities. Inversion of chromosome 9 is associated with a normal outcome in the majority of cases.