Question
Posted by: Advice seeker | 2009-05-13

Spastic colon diet

I' m 21 and I have a really bad spastic colon. And over recent years I have become lactose intolerant even though I love my dairy. The main dairy product that affects me is milk. If I have milk everyday my tummy works and pains terribly. I was wondering where can I get a spastic colon diet? I saw on the internet that there' s so much I can' t eat, so was wondering where to get a proper diet for spastic colons as I feel I am doing damage to my insides. I always have pains on the left side of my stomach. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Dear Advice Seeker
Because you have a spastic colon or irritable bowel disease, and also seem to have developed milk intolerance, I would urge you to consult a clinical dietitian (visit the Association for Dietetics in SA Website at: www.adsa.org.za and click on "Find a Dietitian" to find a dietitian in your area). The dietitian will have to work out a diet prescription for you that takes both conditions into account, which is not something that one can do over the Internet.
So see a dietitian ASAP