Question
Posted by: Michelle | 2012-07-20

Spastic colon and pregnant

Hi I am 26 years old and have suffered from a spastic colon since I was 11. I get terrible pains from constipation and have tried everything but the only thing that really works is when I go to a specialist to get my colon cleansed with warm water.
I am now 22 weeks pregnant and the constipation has gotten even worse. I haven''t been able to go to the toilet in over a week now and am extremely uncomfortable. I''m worried that as the baby gets bigger its going to become worse. More importantly I''m worried that it can affect my unborn baby?
I am of course unable to go for the colon cleanse because of the baby.
Is there anything I can do to make things a bit more comfortable for me and can this severe constipation affect my baby in any way?

You don't say what medications you have tried. Senokot and Metamucil can both be used during pregnancy.

1
Posted by: gynaedoc | 2012-07-27