Question
Posted by: Lin | 2012/06/27

Spastic Colon

Hi there...please advise what the best medication is (as natural as possible) to combat the painfulness of a spastic colon?

Thanks so much

Dear Lin
I can only give you advice on the dietary treatment of spastic colon or irritable bowel disease (IBS). For specific pain medication, you would have to ask your physician or pharmacist for advice. If you can control your IBS by means of diet, stress reduction and probiotics, this should of course reduce any pain you may be suffering too. Two of the most important factors in IBS are a lack of dietary fibre and stress. To increase your dietary fibre intake and obtain tips about this condition, click on ‘Diet & Nutrition’ at the top of this page, ‘You are what you eat’ and “Healthy GI tract’. Read the articles on ‘Probiotics’ too because the use of ‘good microorganisms’ can help a lot in IBS. Try Bifidoflora which you can buy at health shops. If you suffer from flatulence and bloating, you will have to experiment with the foods you eat that may cause problems with a spastic colon (raw onions, garlic, cucumber, green peppers, very spicy foods and condiments, gas-cold drinks, fruits that contain pips such as guavas, figs, etc). This is often an individual reaction and you will have to keep a food diary to see what foods cause this problem and then cut them out. If you find that this is a problem for you, please consult a registered dietitian who will work out a specific diet for your condition. (Visit the Association for Dietetics in SA Website at: www.adsa.org.za and click on "Find a Dietitian" to find a dietitian in your area). Your doctor will also be able to prescribe medicines which can relieve the flatulence such as Bevispas, so chat to your doctor about such medications.
To relieve stress I would recommend that you should learn relaxing techniques, how to do deep breathing exercises and some form of physical exercise which is also relaxing, such as yoga. Going for brisk walks in the fresh air also helps to relieve tension.

5
Posted by: Val | 2012/07/02

I have had IBS for years and had all sorts of treatment, but the best website anywhere is :Heather''s IBS News [help@helpforibs.com], as it was started by Heather who could get no help and has now made a large business out of supplying natural remedies that work. Unfortunately she is based in USA, but her Peppermint/Fennel and Ginger capsules get rid of bloating/pain/diahrroea better than most other stronger medication and she ships her stuff anywhere including SA. The whole website is really brilliant, go to it and help yourself. Val

Reply to Val
Posted by: Lin | 2012/07/02

thanks to all for the great tips!

Reply to Lin
Posted by: Bev | 2012/07/02

Hi there, I drink a juice made from the mangosteen fruit and it has helped me considerably. Traditionally in South East Asia is has been used for centuries for stomach ailments, it''s called Xango. If you are interested please contact me and I will connect you with a distributor.
Kind regards in health
Bev

Reply to Bev
Posted by: natasha | 2012/06/29

hi,

i know the feeling, it is not fun at all, i have tried alot of different things but still suffered.
UNTIL i went for COLONIC HYDROTHERAPY. trust me i have never felt better and the doctor was an absolute star. she gave me something to drink everyday, and i am in heaven.

DO YOURSELF A FAVOUR, go for the therapy. IT WORKS.

Reply to natasha

Dear Lin