Posted by: Lorella | 2010-04-23

Spasmodic Dysphonia voice box

hi, my dad (84 yrs) contracted very bad viral pneumonia/ bronchites while in italy last december. He was in hospital for 4 weeks and the first 4 days his temperate was so high that they actually packed ice around him to bring it down. He is very fit so he survived, but, he seems to have been left with a badly damaged voice box. The ENT specialist over there actually took a photo of it and told him that it was not closing properly and so his voice would be husky and low for ever. I researched on the internet and this problem seems to be called Spasmodic Dysphonia - am i correct? Have not had a chance to take him to a specialist here since they have been back, but just wanted to know more info on the causes and if any, possible cures.
thank you

This is an interesting case and I have found the following information about Spasmodic Dysphonia and the treatment thereof:

Posted by: Lorella | 2010-04-29

Hi Denise,
thanks for the reply. Yes, i know what you mean. My dad gets so frustrated and then it just gets worse. Well, i did read about the botox treatment. So i am assuming that you still have this condition and it sounds like there is no cure. I hope it somehow gets better for you. Good luck.

Reply to Lorella
Posted by: Denise | 2010-04-25

Hi there. I have said dysphonia and find the only thing that works is Botox. I ''contracted'' it after an extremely traumatic experience when I was about 22. It''s a horrible thing to have because people usually shy away from you because they often don''t understand you or can''t hear you properly. I hate it. Your voice is you. Without a voice, you just blend in with the background. Lots of luck. Be thinking of him.

Reply to Denise