Question
Posted by: tilly | 2011-10-13

spasma before i fall asleep

every night before i fall a sleep i get spasma through different parts of my body.sometimes my hand will like pull up or my leg. or sometimes my whole body will go into spasm. i went for a cat scan as my dr thought there something wrong with my brain but it was fine.
i sleep like for a minute then when it start i wake up and then it happen over and over so at the end of the night i dont realy fall asleep.

Expert ImageSleep Expert

This is a condition called "hypnic myoclonus". It actually happens because the brain releases its control over the spinal cord ( as is normal during sleep) and then, for some reason, a large muscle reflex is triggered - just as when your doctor taps your knee with a reflex hammer.

If it is preventing sleep, certain medications can suppress it. Ask your doctor if he would like to try very small doses of clonazepam.