Question
Posted by: TALITHA | 2010/01/18

SPANIEL ITCH

We have a -|- er spaniel female 5 years old, she has a skin condition, we have had her on all kinds of different expensive food for sensitive skin, took her to vet almost every 2nd month for cortisone injections pills etc, I bath her in special shampoo, you name it we have tried it, we are sooo despondent and feel so sorry for our lady, she gets eye infection and ear infection all the time and scratches herself till she bleeds!! what are we not doing??? pleaaase help her

Dear Talitha

very difficult to give you an opinion here. Rule out sarcoptic mange with Ectodex and try Efazol oil and allergex tablets for her. Speak to your vet about this.

3
Posted by: T | 2010/01/29

My parents golden spanial itched and itched for years.. to te point of having caloused furless skin where the poor creature had scratched. nothing worked that they tried. meds, fancy foods etc. Recently we were also told that home made fresher foods, especially combined with boiled fresh veg works wonders... we' ll see. as for the ear infections, that also apparently common in spaniels. gotta keep those ears pristinely clean!

Reply to T
Posted by: spaniel lover | 2010/01/28

spaniels are prone to sensitive skin. i have three spaniels who occasionally get the itch.I have tried everything from shampoos- treatments- designer dog foods etc..
diet plays a big role -make sure you eliminate all sweet sugary treats - no cookies, candy etc.
wash their bedding regularly to get rid of mites
use ceramic rather than metallic water bowls
I have found that the woolworths dog food has the least side effects as far as the itching goes- since they are on that - no prop
i also give them a plate of boiled veg - squash,butternut,carrot with some rice and a spoon of marmite in the veg water - poured over as a gravy.their vet is astounded that they are " cured" 
bath them in running water - under a shower and not in a container - after shampoo and rinse spray the under belly and and ridge of back with 50/50 white vinegar and water solution leave on for a few seconds and rinse of again.

Reply to spaniel lover
Posted by: Cybervet | 2010/01/19

Dear Talitha

Reply to Cybervet