Posted by: Cheryl | 2009-03-17

Hi Doc,

I have 2 female spaniels who have both been spayed, one is 8 years old and very healthy, happy, energetic etc. The younger one is 3 and a half, and although she is also healthy, happy and energetic, she is gaining weight. Her diet has not changed and she is as energetic as she has always been so getting enough exercise. They both get the same type and amount of food but only the one is gaining weight - what could be the cause?

Thanks for your assistance!

Dear Cheryl

Can be a underactive thyroid gland. Best to have it checked out.

Posted by: CC1 | 2009-03-18

We brush them often and had them groomed last weekend, so it' s not her winter coat - hell I wish I grew a winter coat!!

They also eat meals (Breakfast and supper) at one sitting and we watch them carefully, they each eat their own portions, and I give them about two biscuits each during the day - not every day though.

We have ruled out all the obvious, so I will take her to the vet to have her thyroid checked - no harm done.

Reply to CC1
Posted by: Chill | 2009-03-17

Funny, you' ve just reminded me of when I had two spaniels and one was gaining weight.... only, she wasn' t - her winter coat just turned out a whole lot thicker than the other one' s!

Apart from the thyroid thing the cvet refers to - check and see if the junior dog is perhaps secretly scoffing some of the other one' s food... do they both finish their dinner at one sitting?

Also, as with people, different individuals have different metabolisms and energy output levels. Maybe the younger dog just needs less food than the older one.

Reply to Chill