Question
Posted by: debbie | 2010/08/02

SP vs APD

Hi doc. Is social phobia and avoidant personality disorder the same thing? I have been doing some research and I have all the signs and symptoms of avoidant PD. But my psychiatrist is treating me for social phobia with antidepressants. I have reached a stage where I have had enough of being like this and even thinking of suggesting electroconvulsive treatment. What do you suggest? Thanks.

No. Social Phobia / Social Anxiety Disorder, is a disorder which can arise in pretty well anyone, with any sort of personality, and can be relieved by treatment, leaving the underlying personality apparent again. Avoidant Personality Disorder is more of a lifestyle, never as severe or limiting as Social Phobia ( or Social Phobia would have to be diagnosed )
Social phobia usually responds well to some drugs also used for depression, and also responds well to CBT ( Cognitive-Behaviour Disorder ). NOT to ECT. Discuss referral to a CBT psychotherapist, to be addedd to your medication plan.

1