Question
Posted by: dw | 2010/08/19

SP

Hi Doc. All my life I have had social anxiety and been holding myself back. I have put on a persona that is not me and people have sensed this and rejected m e. I am now on Venlor 225mg and going for CBT group therapy and joining groups to expose myself to a whole lot of different situations. I now just want to go crazy.... I want to be myself with everyone, break this facade that I have showing for 38 years, not let anyone get me down, do stuff I have always wanted to do. I just dont seem to have a care in the world. I feel good about this change, but will it last or do I have to continually work at it? Thanks.

I'm interested to hear of CBT group therapy, as I've not yet seen any good reseach convincing me that using this very personalized method in a group is as effective as individually - but it may be more practical and affordable in that format. I hope it will be helpful.
Velnor would not be my choice of drug to help social anxiety disorder, from amongst the many potentially useful antidepressants available. There are numerous alternatives if it is not suiting you.
The reactions you describe also sound as though some individual sessions would benefit you - you may be excessive in rejecting aspects of yourself as false and "facade", and unrealistically hard on yourself, under-estimating your degree of genuineness. Try discussing this with your CBT group therapist.
Maybe your expectations are a bit too unrealistically impatient, though ul;timately achievable

1