Question
Posted by: Zelda | 2013-01-28

Soya vs Cow''s Milk

Hi Doc,
I have a spastic colon and have always managed it myself. I am on a healthy diet and would like to loose some weight  I was recently told to lay off Milk because it''s bad for my health and my weight. I was told to rather use Soya Milk in my coffee and EasyGest milk in my porridge, and to of course, stay away from Bran.

What''s up with the Soya Milk theory? I understand that it contains about as much protein as cow''s milk and all research on the net shows that it is only beneficial for vegans and religious reasons.

Is this theory true? To rather drink Soya Milk than Cow''s milk when trying to shed some weight?

Thanks!

Dear Zelda
I must say that I am totally amazed at some of the stories that circulate about basic foodstuffs such as milk and dairy products. I don't know who told you to stop using milk and dairy, and to change over to soy, but I wonder if this person has any training in nutrition? Milk and dairy products are highly nutritious foods which provide most of 1200 mg of calcium you need every day, plus very high quality protein, and B vitamins such as riboflavin and vitamin B12. If you have had an allergy or intolerance test performed by an accredited laboratory (not by someone peering into your eye or testing electric impedance of your skin!!) and you have tested positive for milk and dairy products, then you have a bonafide reason for not using milk and dairy and you may need to search for a substitute like soya. But if you suffer from a spastic colon and milk or yoghurt have not caused any distress and you are not allergic/intolerant then I would not change over to soy products which can produce very large amounts of gas, something patients with spastic colon have enough of anyway. If you have tested positive and you do switch over the soy products and you don't develop excessive gas, you need to make sure that the soy milk you use contain as much calcium as cow's milk, namely 1 mg per ml or 100 mg per 100 ml. If you can't find such products, then please take a calcium supplement like MenaCal.7 to ensure that you don't develop osteoporosis. And as for weightloss, ironically research studies have found that people who use 3 or more servings of low-fat or fat-free cow's milk or yogurt or cottage cheese a day lose more weight than people who avoid milk and dairy.

1
Posted by: Zelda | 2013-01-31

I have absolute NO health reason to stay away from milk. It was actually a nutritionist who gave me this info, which tells me that I won''t go back to her!!

Thank you SO much for all your info. I once again have peace of mind re my food choices.

You are wonderful!

Reply to Zelda