Posted by: Chant | 2009-06-30

Soya mince

I keep hearing how good soya mince, etc. is for you &  how its a great substitue for meat, etc. etc.

So, I found a nice looking vegetarian cottage pie recipe. However, when I went to get the soya mince (the box), I read the ingredients and it has such junk in it - all sorts of E' s and MSG!! That cannot be better for you than meat??

What' s the deal here??

Thanks very much!

Dear Chant
It is unfortunate that soya mince that is sold commercially has so many added flavourings, but this is due to the fact that the textured soy protein is very tasteless and the manufacturers are only trying to make it taste more acceptable to the public. If you don't want to use commercial soya, you can make your own by soaking soya beans or any other type of dried bean in water overnight, discarding the water and then boiling the beans until they are soft. Discard the cooking water and mash the beans to form the basis of your cottage pie. Nowadays one can also buy a whole range of cooked, canned bean products that can easily be used in a diet to boost your legume intake. Lentils are also delicious meat substitutes - prepare like the beans, but sort through the dry lentils carefully to remove any little stones that may damage your teeth.