Question
Posted by: D van Niekerk | 2010/08/04

Soy Milk Power

With a kcal value of 2250 per 100g, and a fat value of 45 gm per 100g and a GI of 40, is this product suitable for type ll diabetics?

Dear D van Niekerk
I presume that the instruction say that you have to dilute the soy milk powder for drinking and cooking purposes? If we compare this soy milk powder with a full-fat cow milk powder (2109 kJ, 28 g of fat per 100g and a similar GI) then it is evident that the soy milk powder has a much higher total fat content which is not desirable for diabetics. If you have to use soy milk because of cow's milk allergy or vegetarian reasons, then I would recommend that you rather use the liquid soy milk products that have a lower energy and fat content (149 kJ and 1.9 g of fat per 100 ml).

1

Dear D van Niekerk