Question
Posted by: monica morales | 2011/11/27

soy formula

I have been giving my baby soy formula since I stopped breast feeding (when he was almost 7 months). I even drank soy milk when I was pregnant and breast feeding because he was colic. Now he is 19 months and still drinks 3 soy formula bottles a day, mainly because he rejects milk. I''m reading about concerns on giving soy formula and I''m VERY concerned. It''s a Saturday evening and I can''t voice these concerns to my child''s doctor until Monday. What do you think I should do? Also, about a year ago I was told I have Graves disease and possibly hyper thyroid issues. Do you think by drinking soy it has possibly lead to my thyroid problem?

Dear Monica
If your son is already 19 months old, then he should be old enough to either use commercial soy milk from a cup instead of the soy formula from a bottle or drink cow’s milk and eat yoghurt. You may have to gradually introduce cow's milk in small quantities after you have weaned him from his bottle. This can take time, but if you persevere he will eventually learn to drink from a cup and also drink other milks besides soy milk and eat a varied diet that contains many different foods, including calcium-rich yoghurt, cottage cheese and other cheeses. Although there are concerns about the use of soy products and thyroid function, they are generally related to suppression of thyroid function, not hyperthyroidism, which is regarded as an autoimmune condition. Your doctor should be able to reassure you in this respect and also suggest treatment for the Grave's disease.

1

Dear Monica