Posted by: Ang | 2009-03-03

Soy Allergy

What is Soya Lecithin (E322) and how does it differ from normal soy ?
My two year old is allergic to soy, and also not allowed lactose at the moment as he has ulcerative colitis and was told to avoid lactose in periods of an attach. We have been feeding him Nan Lactose Free and last night I noticed the Soya Lecithin in the ingredients, could this be affecting him? I phoned the Nestle hotline, however the consultant that I spoke to was very insistent that the this is a different form of soy and also that it is such a minimal amount that it won’ t affect my son .
Should I worry, or does this seem correct ?

Expert ImagePharmacist

This is soy-derived lecithin. Studies show that most soy allergic individuals may safely eat products that contain soy lecithin and soy oils. These substances are fat based, and persons with allergies react to the protein portion of the food.