Posted by: Ang | 2009-03-03

Soy Allergy

What is Soya Lecithin (E322) and how does it differ from normal soy ?
My two year old is allergic to soy, and also not allowed lactose at the moment as he has ulcerative colitis and was told to avoid lactose in periods of an attach. We have been feeding him Nan Lactose Free and last night I noticed the Soya Lecithin in the ingredients, could this be affecting him? I phoned the Nestle hotline, however the consultant that I spoke to was very insistent that the this is a different form of soy and also that it is such a minimal amount that it won’ t affect my son .
Should I worry, or does this seem correct ?

Dear Ang
Soya Lecithin is a type of fat called a phospholipid that is extracted from soya beans and added to many foods as an emulsifier. Generally speaking even patients with soya allergy do not always react to fats extracted from soya because they are allergic to one or more soya proteins and these proteins are removed when the fat is extracted. If you are, however, finding that your son is developing negative symptoms on this product, then you may have to change to a product that is lactose-free and does not contain lecithin. Contact the Allergy Association by visiting their Website at: to find out more about products that are both lactose and lecithin-free.
Hope you lad recovers soon