Posted by: another option | 2009-04-03

south beach diet

hi doc
I' ve been on almost every low fat, balanced diet programme there is weigh-less, patrick holford, a dietician' s low fat programme.. and i have failed- some have been sucessful- then putting on the weight, others showing so little loss for a lot of effort, even tried duramine. I' m finally considering another option:the low carb option - South Beach diet. I' ve read a lot of the literature on this programme and i know that phase 1 is the most difficult - but this programme in the end includes low gi carbs after the first two weeks. what is your opinion on this diet?

Dear Another Opinion
If you read the article on the Atkins diet which I wrote (click on 'Diet' at the top of this page and then do a Search with 'Atkins diet'), then you will see that people do initially lose a lot of weight when they eat only proteins and fats, but the problem is that they also tend to regain the weight they have lost the moment they return to eating a normal diet. At least the South Beach diet does allow you to eat low-GI carbs which is a step in the right direction. See if the diet works for you esp in the long-term and do consider adding daily aerobic exercise for at least 30 min to whatever diet you decide to use. Exercise can make the difference between failure and success in slimming.

Posted by: Y | 2009-04-06

Dear another option

Ignore Dietdoc' s paranoia about low carb diets. I guess it has been too long since she studied dietetics, because newest studies increasingly show that low carb diets are healthier. Check out www dot drbriffa dot com for comments on research on lower carb diets. I' ve read an article a while ago (unfortunately I can' t remember on which website) that the South Beach diet is very healthy. Also remember that unlike the Atkins diet, the South Beach diet is not extremely low in carbs - it just advocates eating healthy carbs (e.g. veggies and fruit) rather than unhealthy carbs (bread, potatoes and other starches). Another useful website on low carb eating is www dot the paleodiet dot com. I find the Paleo Diet to be a little too restricting (as it also cuts out diary - unlike the South Beach diet which allows diary). Good luck with your low carb / good carb dieting, and please tell us of your results in the Weightloss Forum (See the Experts and Communities / Talk Forums tab above).

Reply to Y