Question
Posted by: Kim | 2010/07/16

Source of strength

I am the youngest of 3 girls and I was only 9 when my parents divorced and ever since, I have been the fragile one. My sisters and parents have always been there for me and I guess they realise that I am not emotionally strong so they try to shield me at all times. I am 28 years old, was in a 5 yr relationship until the guy made my friend pregnant then we broke up. I met someone else but after a year of being together, he left me for someone else. I feel like I am going to lose my mind. I cannot think, eat, sleep or do my work. I am trembling, have a constant headache and always in tears. I just want to stay home as this is all too much for me and I don''t want my family to know how I am as it will worry them to death. I live alone so I have been avoiding them for the last 2 weeks. How do I find that source of strength to help me move on?

I understand your story. Be cautious about accepting a family role, such as "the fragile one" as though it were inevitable - it can very usefully be changed. However, you are indeed describing emotional vulerability, and perhaps an excessively severe response to having had the misfortune to encounter two rotten men.
It sounds very much as though you may have dveloped a significant Depression. Fortunately, this responds really well to proper treatment.
Ideally, you should see a good local psychiarist ( at least a good GP ) for assessment and a discussion of treatment options. From what you say, these should include counselling preferably of the CBT ( Cognitive-Behaviour Therapy ) format and medication.

3
Posted by: maraya | 2010/07/19

Someone wise once said to me that the Great Lord above would never give you what you cannot handle. While I understand some people are not religious ( I am in no way suggesting you are or not), we often forget the power of the Lord, prayer and a great support system. You are 28, healthy and definately strong because you have come so far. You would be in my prayers...

Reply to maraya
Posted by: Melissa | 2010/07/16

Take a few pictures you have of him, at the back write all the things about him that bothered or irretated you, pour yourself ''n glass of wine and make a fire with his memories, altough this sound insignificant I find it very theraputic. :-)

Reply to Melissa