Question
Posted by: Weight Conscious | 2012/04/24

Soups

Hi There
ITs winter time and Im so scared of gaining weight as I always do in winter. This year I want to do things different. What healthy ready made soups can I buy that wont do damage to my weight. is there such a thing as ''''healthy ready made soup'' in the supermarket ? I would cook soup BUT I just cant cook.

Dear Weight Conscious
It is a good idea to use nice warm soups in winter as they are filling and satisfying and can have a low energy-content, unless you add lashings of fat, sour cream or lots of grated cheese. I don't have the kJ contents of all the different types of soup that are available in our supermarkets, but according to the SA Food Tables, the energy contents of 100 g portions of soups range from 40 kJ (chicken bouillon made with hot water and a chicken stock cube) to 323 kJ (split pea soup with vegetables and pork), so even if you have 300 ml of the latter soup (323 x 3 = 969 kJ) you will still not be exceeding the allocated 2100 kJ per meal for an adult woman who is trying to lose weight (not maintain it). You can still have a slice of low-GI bread with your soup and not exceed the 2100 kJ! Check out the energy values of the various soups that are available and keep in mind the examples I have listed for you.
Enjoy

3
Posted by: Stuart Young | 2012/05/03

Herbalife has a gourmet tomato soup available. It has 8 times the protein of regular tomato soup. provides a feeling of satiety without the calories

Reply to Stuart Young
Posted by: Jackie | 2012/04/25

Hi, I saw yesterday that Woollies has a slimmers range of soups, don''t know how they taste, but it should have fewer calories and fat then the usual ready made soups. But I think it has more to do with the sodium (salt) content in ready made soups.

Reply to Jackie

Dear Weight Conscious
Enjoy