Question
Posted by: Gastro | 2011/04/12

Soreness after bowel movement

Dear doc

I underwent a gastroscope by a specialist surgeon in December last year where it was found that I have got a hiatus hernia and a very irritated stomach lining. Nexiam 40mg was prescribed to control my reflux as a result of the hernia, which is working wonders.

Over the past few weeks I have been experiencing some discomfort after a bowel movement - my anus/rectum feels sore and burny on the inside. This persists for the entire day. If I then have a day or two where I don''t have a bowel movement there is no discomfort whatsoever, until the next bowel movement. My stool appears to be quite hard although I am not constipated on the toliet. There are also times where the structure of the stool changes. I have mentioned these things to the doc who did the scope but he ignored it.

I have decided to get a 2nd opinion with a proper Gastroenterologist next week to see what he says/suggests. What procedures would he likely perform on me/what can I expect? I am intending to take the scope report of December along to show him.

Thanks and regards

Dear Gastro
I agree with your seeking a second opinion. You may have a small tear in the anus causing the burning and soreness and the doctor will probably do a rectal examination in the room (it is not painful -they just feel inside the rectum and may look with a small proctoscope inside the rectum). If needed he may want to do a scope under light anaesthetic (that will be booked a few days later as one needs to use laxatives to first clear the bowel)
He may ask you to submit a stool sample to the lab to test for blood or parasites.

1
Posted by: Cyberdoc | 2011/04/12

Dear Gastro