Question
Posted by: Lee | 2010/03/26

sore web

Hi doc, for the past 3 weeks my hand has been very sore, it''s the web between thumb and index finger, especially in the morning before it has had time to kind of ''warm up''. Later on during the day it also gives me some pain and discomfort, but not as badly as first thing in the morning...except if i try to grab something heavy-ish such as a file. I also have trouble writing (typing is fine though). I cannot remember injuring this area of my body 3 weeks ago, what could it be? should i be worried? will it go away on its own??!!! anything i can take to alleviate the pain?

sorry for all the questions, thank you for your time!
take care

Hallo Lee
compare the two hands - does it seem as if the sore one's thumb muscle is less bulky than the other side ( look on the palm side) - this could be an indication of a nerve entrapment in the arm. If the area is red and swollen, you may have infection in the webspace. You can also get referred pain to that area because of inflammation in the thumb muscle (short abductor of the thumb muscle) Try an anti-inflammatory like ibuprofen but it if persists let your doctor have a look to see if you need referral to an orthopedic surgeon

1
Posted by: cyberdoc | 2010/03/26

Hallo Lee

Reply to cyberdoc