Posted by: t | 2009-04-14

sore tummy

my son is 10 yrs old and he has had a sore tummy since friday. we went to the doctor but nothing helps. they did blood and urine tests but they were ok. he is constant pain and he cant even straighten his body cause is sore. it is sore on his left side and horizontal above his belly button. he doesnt have a fever and he is not constipated and there is no vomiting. he doesnt have an appetite

what could be the problem

Hallo T
Children can get abdominal pain due to things outside of the abdomen causing enlarged glands in the abdomen like when they have tonsillitis or upper airway infection. What worries me is that he can't stand up straight - this is often a sign of peritonitis ( inflammation of the inside of the abdomen, like after a perforated appendix)
If he hasn't improved in 5 days, they need to re-do a white cell blood count to see if he has signs of underlying infection, they also need to do an abdominal x/ray and re-test his urine.
It needs urgent attention, especially if this pain wakes him up at night.