Question
Posted by: Anon | 2010-06-09

Sore toe!!!!

Please can you answer a question with regard to my toe, if you it does not fall in your line of expertise, please tell me to whom I should be talking to as I am at my absolute wits end!!!
I am a long distance runner and I had a fungal infection on my right big toe, went to a GP who prescribed medication that cleared it up, however my problem is or occurs whilst running ultra marathons where the toe rubs against the side of my running shoes causing the most excruciating pain, worse than toothache!!! I tried putting as many plasters as possible on it but to no avail the pain seems to come from inside the side of my toe, if this makes sense!!! It gets to a stage where I cannot carry on running I have to stop and walk.
Any help with this would be greatly appreciated

Expert ImageOrthopaedic Specialist Forum

I will post your question to Dr Crane who is our foot specialist and he wil reply to you

7
Posted by: Dr Crane | 2010-06-29

try Dr. Raghavjee at Pietermaritzburg mediclinic

Reply to Dr Crane
Posted by: Anon | 2010-06-22

Thanks Doctor Crane I live in the Pietermaritzburg area.

Posted by: Dr jason Crane | 2010-06-21

It sounds as though you might have an ingrown toe nail or infected nail bed. Which area do you live in for me to recommend a specialist to

Reply to Dr jason Crane
Posted by: Anon | 2010-06-17

Hi Dr Crane,
I have read up on Hallux Rigidus, and that is not what I am experiencing, my pain is only along the side of the nail of my big toe, the part that goes into the skin. There is no rigidity of the toe at the base or anywhere else. Who would you suggest I go and see for a proper diagnosis.
Thank you for your help

Posted by: Dr Crane Foot specialist | 2010-06-15

Dear Anon.

I agree with the other foot surgeon

Reply to Dr Crane Foot specialist
Posted by: Orthopaedic Specialist Forum | 2010-06-13

Reply to Orthopaedic Specialist Forum
Posted by: Another foot surgeon | 2010-06-10

It sounds if you may have Hallux Rigidus. It is a condition where the range of movement in the big joint of the big toe is diminished. Repetative movement can be very painfull. It will need a specialist opinion to confirm. I believe surgery to be the most effective Rx

Reply to Another foot surgeon