Posted by: Frances | 2009-08-20

I have had a bad flemmy cough and sore throat for the past year....I do have asthma which is very much under control. I have been on antibiotics every month for the past year and have had a chest xray which is clear. Am at my wits end as it is so depressing having this terrible cough (I do not smoke either) and this very bad sore throat that I can barely swallow. Please can you offer some advice. Thanks

Expert ImagezENT Expert

Dear Frances
In view of the normal chest X-ray, and chest examination, it is very possible that your problem is due to and uncontrolled post nasal drip or gasto-oesophageal reflux disease. You should consult an ENT surgeon who may examine the upper airway to establish a possible cause. If you are suffering from a PND (post-nasal drip), it may be due to chronic sinusitis, which will require a CT scan of the sinuses to assess the extent.