Question
Posted by: BMJ | 2010/10/12

Sore throat

Dear Dr Bets

I wrote to you a few days about a sore throat and coughing which was then going on for 10 days. You advised me to see my gp. I made an appointment (could only see her in 2 days) and by the time the appointment day arrived I felt better, so I cancelled. (That was on Saturday). However, since last night my throat is very sore again and I have a fever and earache.. I am going to see my GP tomorrow. Just wanted to ask a question. I have a thick very red line on the side of my throat where my tonsils used to be. Is it possible to get infection in that area without tonsils?

Hallo BMJ
Sometimes, if your tonsils were removed but you had some scar tissue due to frequent tonsillitis as a child, you may have small pockets of residual tonsil rests in the back of the throat that can still cause "tonsillitis". One can also still get a pharingitis even though your tonsils are removed. I think you probably need some antibiotics..

1
Posted by: Cyberdoc | 2010/10/12

Hallo BMJ