Question
Posted by: MS K | 2010-05-29

Sore Throat

I am a 29 yr old female.Two weeks ago I developed a really bad sore throat ( my tonsils were removed 18 years ago ). I felt fluish and took some panado. The sore throat cont and I did see a doctor a week after it began.

She said it was a bacterial throat infection and prescribed some antibiotic and gave me a shot. It felt better two days later and I completed the meds on Monday. Three days later- Thursday my throat starts to hurt again. The pain is so bad I even fear swallowing my own saliva. Its only on the one side and quite deep down the throat. I am also b-feeding my infant and dont know if I can get anyything stornger. What could be wrong?

MS K

I suggest that you re-consult your doctor to inform her about the new development. Ask her to do a throat swab and to have it analysed. This should give a clear indication if you have a viral or bacterial infection and if bacterial, what anti-biotics will be suitable to use. Sometimes bacterial infections are resistant to some anti-biotics.