Posted by: DES | 2010-03-15

Hi Doctor,

A couple of days ago I developed swelling combined with matter in my right ear. I''''ve been to a specialist and it seems to be sorted out. My other worry is that I have now developed a sore throat and a cough. Is this as a result of my sore ear? Futhermore, I have this fear of contracting HIV. The doctor used a machine that works like a vacuum cleaner to remove some of the matter. I was wondering what if he never changed the suction nozzle and now I have these flu like symptoms? Are my syptoms related to my sore ear?

Many thanks.

Expert ImagezENT Expert

Dear DES

Your ear infection is unlikely to have caused your sore throat, as there is no direct connection between the two areas if the eardrum is intact. The fact is that a sore throat may cause earproblems, but the opposite is unlikely. I do not think these incidents are related, as suctioning of the ear does not cause anything like flu. This is indeed a viral infection and there is no possibility that suctioning of the ear could cause a throat infection, as there is no connection. Suction tips are disposible and usually not re-used.
Your symptoms are not related to your previously treated earproblem. You should see your doctor for an examination regarding your throat.

Posted by: Maggie | 2010-04-29

I have sore throat, watery feeling itching right ear, post nasal drip and developed serious snoring problems. I am 45 years old and weighs 70kg.
(1). I experience sore throat every month, with a week or two breaks in between. I was given Allermine 10mg tablets, Aspen Azithromycin 500mg &  Acc 200 in February 2010  In March 2010 I was given Locabiotal (puffs), Mybellen tabs, Curam 1000mg, Dazit 5mg tablets, Adco-Metronidazile 200mg &  a sample was taken from my throat for tests-no sign of bacteria was detected. Sore throat has again started three days ago. The problems subsides during and a while after taking medication.
(2). I developed serious snoring problems that makes me wake up many times in the middle of my sleep since sore problems recurred. As a result I wake every morning with sore throat.
(3). Post nasal drip: I don''t feel comfortable when talking because I feel like I have a slightly iriitating smell, especially after using nasal sprays. When I wake up I feel bad in my mouth though I brush my teeth before I sleep.
Please help!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Reply to Maggie