Posted by: Madie | 2009-07-19

Sore throat

Hi dr....I' ve been having problems with throat infection and sinusitis for the last almost 2 yr now(I' m 39 yr old, female)....Last year I was on antibiotics, 8 times for this...This yr 4 times...It' s almost as if Im getting a sore throat, every 1-2 months! It' s VERY irritating...It starts with this TERRIBLE sore throat and huge swollen glands for 3-4 days, then the nose for one week and then the coughing with little bit of asthma. I' ve been to a specialist physician, he couldn' t find anything wrong(just that I have VWD). My gp has put me on Xyzal and Nasonex, I' m taking this daily...She adviced me to a pulmonologist in August...I' ve been to an ENT 2-3 yr ago...he couldnt find anything wrong, I tested positive then for glandular fever, but is negative now. Any thoughts on wha' ts going on or do I need to except that I will live with a sore throat for the rest of my life? Thanx

Expert ImagezENT Expert

Dear Madie

One needs to determine which comes first, the sore throat or the sinus symptoms.

If you have nasal symptoms first (blocked nose, postnasal drip, headaches, facial pain, poor sense of smell), followed by a sore throat, you may be sufferring from chronic sinusitis with a postnasal drip. This can cause a chronic throat irritation / sore throat. This can be determined by a thorough nasal examination and possibly a CT-scan of the sinuses if your ENT feels this is indicated.

Chronic reflux (heartburn) can also cause a persistent sore throat. If you have reflux symptoms you should consult a GIT specialist.

If the sore throat is the primary problem without any other symptoms, one should consider chronic infections. You might require further investigations for this.

Your pulmonologist will be able to guide you in the right direction.