Posted by: Cath | 2009-07-15

Sore throat

Hi. I have been having a sore throat for about weeks, it is odd though, just one tonsil will hurt, then move to the other tonsil, it sort of went away, but came back yesterday, with the small tongue at the back of the throat) being sore. The actual throat itself isn' t that sore, only sometimes. I also have a cough that had been there first. My eyes looked almost like I had pink eye at one point, just without the pain, but is fine now. Does this sound like something I should be concerned about? Our weather is cold and wet right now. This also started shortly after a cold that I had, the cough was almost gone, when this all flaired up. My main concern is that it could be cancer. Please advise.
P.S. I am 32

Expert ImagezENT Expert

Hi Cath

You could just have tonsillitis or a viral upper respiratory tract infection in which case your symptoms will get better with time. If your symptoms persist for a few weeks, then you do need to consult your GP.

If you have had symptoms for more than a few weeks, are a smoker, have had any loss of weight, neck glands that persist or earache, you should see an ENT surgeon even although throat cancer is unusual at this age.