Posted by: Daddy' s Girl | 2009-09-26

Sore on front leg

My 2 year old female Bull Terrier has a slightly raised red sore on her font leg. She is continually licking it, keeping it raw. I thought it might be a type of wart, so have been giving her Thuja homeopathic pills, 2 per day, and ast one stage I thought they were helping, but I see its very raw and angry looking today. I was thinking of applying " Heal All"  and bandaging it up, but you know what Bullies are like, it wouldn' t last 2 minutes. Any suggestions ?

Follow Chill's advice.

Posted by: Chill | 2009-09-28

Sounds more like a cyst or abscess in that case. I' d still get it seen to if I were you.

Reply to Chill
Posted by: Daddy s Girl | 2009-09-27

OK I have had a look at Google. Its not the same. I recognise the " hot spot"  scenario. This is a small raised " bottton"  flatish, the size of half a pea, but not rounded. I thought a largish wart. ? The surrounding skin is not affected, very localised to the " pea" 

Reply to Daddy s Girl
Posted by: Daddy' s Girl | 2009-09-27

Thanks Chilli. Will do.

Reply to Daddy&#39 s Girl
Posted by: Chill | 2009-09-26

Sounds like a lick granuloma to me. It can be caused by something or other - little itch, wound, whatever - but then persists into a neurotic behaviour, getting gradually worse and more compulsive.

Let your vet take a look and rule out anything else (?ringworm, infection), and then advise you. If I' m right, you may need to learn how to bandage it professionally - careful here, you don' t want to compromise the circulation - and also perhaps get medication for the dog - ' prozac'  for dogs, until the habit is broken.

The longer you leave it, the harder it will become to break the habit.

Do a google on lick granulomas - if you check out some images too, you will soon agree that a stitch in time saves nine.

Reply to Chill