Posted by: aNNa | 2008-11-06

Sore knees

I am 45 and I walk approximately 4 k' s every day, but my knees hurt. I bought proper walking shoes and there was less pain, but they still get stiff and sore on occasion - is there anything I can do? Thank you

Expert ImageArchive

Knee pain amongst walkers and runners is very common and, more often than not, is associated with repetitive strain and overuse..i.e. too much too soon, resulting in inflammation of the structures around the knee (ligaments, tendons or the actual joint).

The fact that your problem improved with proper shoes suggests that it may well be a 'foot gait' problem (usually pronation) and that the shoes did not provide sufficient correction to fully resolve the problem. Ususally making use of specifically molded orthotic supports (see an orthotist / podiatrist) makes all the difference.

Regular stretching (quads and calf muscles) should help with the stiffness.

Should the problem persist consult with a chiropractor or physiotherapist for a more definitive diagnosis