Question
Posted by: NIcki | 2008/10/01

sore knees

I am 27 years old and have been exercising 3x week over the last 2 months which includes resistance training and steps inbetween exercises. My knees are however quite sore now especially when doing squats and lunges with weights. I am worried that the exercises are actually doing more harm than good to my joints.
My left knee also makes a clicking sound when doing squats and lunges. Is this something to worry about? Do I need to take joint supplements?

Dear Nicki
If your knees are sore now that you are doing exercises like squats and lunges, you should have them examined by a medical dr because in some cases exercises like these and like jogging, can damage your joints. If you have any swelling or inflammation in the knee joints the dr will advise treatment like taking anti-inflammatories and/or having some physiotherapy. You also need to STOP those exercises immediately and rather concentrate on doing other aerobic exercises like swimming (if possible?) that will promote weightloss, but not put a strain on your joints. Let's first see what the diagnosis is before you start taking joint supplements.