sore foot for no reason ?

hi doc

the side of my foot next to my pinkie toe near to where corns generally appear, is very painful at times.
if I stand barefoot for like 5mins it begins aching terribly.
if I rub or massage it it hurts even more.
it feels like a sharp nerve is being touched there if I rub it.

any idea why?

Expert ImageArchive

Dear Anonymous

If you have an area where corns often appear it could be that you are putting to much pressure on that area because of the shape of your foot, your shoes or even the way you are standing. The pain you are experiencing in that area could be anything from tendonitis to a 5th metatarsal stress fracture. I suggest you see a podiatrist to help with an insole to correct the position of your foot.