Posted by: Milroy | 2009-02-09

sore feet, with internal heat sensation

I am 60 years old, a diabetic type 2, since 2003, insullin dependant 34units am., &  24units pm. Blood sugar average at 8,4mmol / L. I am retired and play bowls 3 afternoons a week. I walk the dog at least twice per day. I am still active and garden and carry out greenkeeper duties at a bowling green. Over the past 3-4weeks, I have been suffering from a " HOT SENSATION"  in my feet. In the balls of the feet, in the instep, around the ankles &  in the heels. I' ve tried to soak them in Epsom Salts &  hot water, to no avail. The sensation will not go away. My career (35years) was as a Forester, which involved a lot of walking, and over a lot of rough mountainous terrain. My knees &  hips no longer appreciate this type of punishment, nor walking in soft sand. Cycling &  treadmill exercise is too painful to contemplate. My dog &  I walk in the park, on the hard sand along the beach, and up &  down the bowling green while following the mower. What is causing this &  how can I get relief. Please advise.

Expert ImageArchive

Dear Milroy

You may have developed neuropathy, which is damage caused to the nerves as a result of diabetes. Often people will complain of altered feelings in the feet such as a tingling, burning sensation. Often this will be when the blood sugar level is higher. The best thing to do would be to visit a podiatrist for a foot health check. They should do a series of tests on your circulation as well as the nerves and this should tell you what is going wrong and how ti fix it.