Question
Posted by: Mommy | 2011/04/13

Sore feet after running

Hi doc. I have started running socially about 3 years ago. I also go to gym every day and do various stuff like kick and jab, bootcamp and spinning. i try to do a 10kms race every now and then. I have brought down my time a lot and now run 10kms in about 58 minutes, but after a 10 km race I suffer with very sore feet. The mucsles on top of my feet get really sore and for at least 2 days after the race I struggle to walk and suffers with pain. The same happens if I wear slip slops or flat shoes for a long time. It feels as if it gets worse and worse. I really enjoy running these races. What could be the problem? I put lots of ICE MAN on my feet after the race, although it works a bit, my feet still are very sore.

Do you mean ligaments on the top of the foot? Are we talking about the bone, or is it the muscle underneath? The muscle often hurts because of calf muscle tightness, because they're all connected underneath the foot, from behind the heel to the front of the foot. So that may be part of it - and strengthening the calf would help prevent this.

If it's on the top, then it's more difficult to know what the cause might be. It may be something as simple as lacing the shoes too tightly which might cause bruising and pressure pain. Or it may be the bone, in which case it would be more serious (but also less likely because you are only sore for a short time and only when running).

I'd say it may be worth looking at the shoes, but only to see that they are nicely cushioned. Strengthen the calves, and also look at the training - it might be that running 10km once in a while is a little infrequent. I'm not sure how much you are training between, but that may be partly to blame, and if you are a little more consistent, it may help.

2
Posted by: fitnessdoc | 2011/04/26

Reply to fitnessdoc
Posted by: raf | 2011/04/15

maybe your shoelaces are to tight. had the same problem.

Reply to raf