Posted by: mina | 2013-01-01

Sore Feet

Myh feet get very sore on the soles and it is almost the symptom of it being sore to the touch, making it very uncomfortable to walk etc. Also the outer ankles on both feet swell up. Ive been told to check for gout. What are the symptoms of gout? Thank you

Expert ImagePodiatrist

Thank you for your e-mail. Gout is an inflammatory arthritic condition that is caused by high uric acid levels in your blood. I would suggest that you consult with your doctor to do the necessary blood test to test for gout.
There are various causes for painfull feet and a thorough history is important to make the correct diagnosis and prescribe the correct treatment: symptoms, what caused the pain, how long ago did it start, is the condition aggravated by activity or shoewear. Biomechanical abnormailties during the gait cycle could cause pain/ symptoms in various parts of the lower limb. I would suggest that you consult with a podiatrist for and assessment and treatment. For your nearest podiatrist contact Podiatry Association of South Africa or 0861 100 249