Question
Posted by: Ms C | 2009-09-14

sore feet

I have to wear high heel shoes at work and I stand on my feet almost 9 hrs a day, which results in the skin on the ball of my foot thickening. I uase a foot file every day to try and get rid of it, but to no avail. It causes a burning sensation and when I eventually put my feet up it feels as if the bone on the inside is hurting. The arch of my feet are quite high. Pls help.

Expert ImageArchive

Dear Ms C

Repeated pressure on the balls of your feet from wearing high heels is causing callus formation which in turn damages the soft tissue of the plantar surface of your foot. Also, if you have a high arch foot your weight will not be evenly distributed over the soles of your feet, rather concentrated at the heel and ball of the foot.
I'm afraid the answer is simple. Don't wear high heels. Standing for 9 hours on your feet in high heels is causing the damage to your feet and the callus formation is just the tip of the ice berg. Protect your feet, wear a lower heel shoe.

Chris