Question
Posted by: Sally | 2008/10/02

sore cheek bones or upper jaw

my husbnd wakes up most mornings with pain in his cheek bones / upper jaw - after he has taken a pain killer he seems fine for the day - i read somewhere it would be related to the heart - is this the case or something else.

Hallo Sally
He probably gnashes his teeth at night when sleeping and has TM joint inflammation in the morning ( this is the joint between the jaw and the skull just in front of your ear) The pain can spread down to the middle of the lower jaw. Let his GP or dentist look at this - this can also cause headaches and tooth abcesses/cracked tooth enamel. They can make a bite plate for you to sleep with to reduce the stress on the joint and protect your teeth as most people do this unconsciously!

1
Posted by: Jaw clencher | 2008/10/02

Dear Sally
For over a year I have had terrible pain over my ear and jaw. The dentist made me a plate but the pain still was there until a month ago.
The ENT sent me to the physiotherapist and what an amazing difference it has made. She has given me exercises to do during the day so that I can become conscious not to bite my teeth or grind them.
she also showed me a diagram of the muscles that are used around the side of the face up to the head when one grinds and bites ones jaw...
Perhaps your husband would also benefit from going for physio hope he can find one as good as the one I went to.

Reply to Jaw clencher