Posted by: Lexie | 2009-07-27

Sore calves

I have been doing skipping rope for 3 weeks now, about 4 to 5 times per week, but I cannot seem to get rid of my sore and stiff calves!
I worked my way up gradually, from about 100 in drips and draps, to 250 fluently. And yes, it took me 3 weeks to learn how to skip again!!
Any ideas on techniques, but more important: any ideas on pain relieving? What works best: Nurofen gel, deep heat, deap heat bath soak?????
Any ideas will help..

Expert ImageArchive

Hello Lexie,
Your body needs to rest and recover in between skipping sessions. So skip one day then take two days off and the skip again. Try this for two weeks and then skip one day on and one day off. Also try stretching your calves for one minute each after a short walk for a warm up. Also strech calves when you have finished to help with the delayed onset muscle soreness.
Pain should not be releived but avoided with appropriate recovery and stretching.

Dr Guy ashburner Osteopath