Question
Posted by: Wayne | 2010/02/18

Sore back and chest

This past week I' ve woken up with a tight chest, have difficulty breathing, with a sharp pain under my right shoulder blade close to my spine, and this area is sensitive when massaged, but only really painful when I wake up, not during the day. I can' t lie on my back or sides (lying on my sides is slightly better than lying on my back though). If I lie on my back my right arm goes numb.
Once I get up after an hour the discomfort subsides and symptoms improve during the day. I do weight training (shoulder pulls, chest extensions). Could I have pulled something? Would you suggest seeing a physio or GP? I feel fine during the day but the pain is so bad when I lie down that I can' t sleep. Am 32 years old and in general good health, and don' t have previous injuries. Thanks.

Expert ImageOrthopaedic Specialist Forum

Dear Wayne,

I would see the GP at least - i am concerned about the symptoms which you describe- it could be a lung problem and the doctor should order a chest X-ray on you and then take it from there

All the best,

Dr Joe de Beer

1
Posted by: Orthopaedic Specialist Forum | 2010/02/18

Dear Wayne,

All the best,

Dr Joe de Beer

Reply to Orthopaedic Specialist Forum