Posted by: Daisy | 2009-08-05

Sore and swollen breast

On 27 June I was in a car crash. The safety belt and airbag hurt me a lot, especially my left breast. Since then I could always feel some lumps, but my doctor told me to wait a few months, because it might just be scar tissue from the accident.

On Saturday, 1 Aug, I menstruated for the first time since the accident. Monday, 3 August was my last day of menstruation. (I usually have a very short menstrual period) The day before my left breast got unbelievalby sore and where I was hurt, it became rock hard. This morning I noticed that it is very red and swollen over that area. Yesterday whilst driving, I could not even wear my safety belt because it hurt to much. Last night I had cold fever, and I was shaking all over.
I did phone my doctor yesterday, and he said it is hormones due to my menstruation. He said to wait 15 days and see if it gets better. I feel that it is getting worse.
I would appreciate any feedback.

Dear Daisy
No a red, swollen tender breast with fever could be due to an abcess or cellulitis in the breast - please see a doctor as soon as possible as you may need antibiotics. Sometimes when you have a deep bruise with bleeding in the breast after injury, that area can get infected.