Question
Posted by: Angela | 2011/11/17

sore achilles tendon

I have been doing a few step classes and bosu classed but my left achilles tendon gets quite sore. Is there something I can do to strengthen this tendon. Its not on the right, just the left.

Hi Angela

That usually happens simply because the tendon is being loaded more than it is used to. And the danger is that you try to strengthen it, but this is just even more load and you end up affecting it negatively. The balance between training and resting up needs to be found. I'd say that if you cut the number of those classes by 50%, and maybe take more rest, then you'll be able to adapt between sessions. Hard day, followed by easy day, give yourself a chance to rest. That should sort it out.

Also, calf raises can help, but you need to be careful there because when you do calf raises, it's more stress on the tendon, and that can be negative, as I said. So I'd say back off training for a copule of weeks, doing less than before, and then build up.

Ross

1
Posted by: fitnessdoc | 2011/11/27

Hi Angela

Ross

Reply to fitnessdoc