Question
Posted by: CP MOM | 2008/06/20

Sooooo not your field of expertise Cs...

Hi there!

Just thought i'd tell you before you tell me? hee hee

Someone at g's shop gave Nê a "bokkie-hondjie" - you know the type? Minature Doberman, he's so tiny.....

I read the other day that one should not give ANY DOG any milk as they cannot digest it, but i've had dogs all my life and i've given them milk and nothing happened?

In the mornings after Nê has finished her "pap" she gives him her little milk that's left to lick....and is there anyone with knowledge of these doggies? I know my gran's died of dry wors because it was to much.

CS, any word on MM?

Love Mom

I guess the dry wors absorbs water and swells unpleasantly. But lets see what others advise on milk.
No sign of MM.
ANd I have just had a call from the hospice that thismorning Peggy is non-responsive, and may not last long. I am trying to arrange to rush round there as soon as possible, and would appreciate it if people would keep the forum quiet for the next few days, as I try to work through this difficult challenge

6
Posted by: CP MOM | 2008/06/20

Thanx for all the advice. I read a bout the choc's to. Thanx

Reply to CP MOM
Posted by: more advice | 2008/06/20

Be careful these type of dogs have a bottomless pit for a stomach and can become very very fat....they can eat continuously but should only be given dog food and nothing else from the table! No chocolate very bad for dogs can cause death in fact. Get the dog checked our with your Vet first to make sure the dog is healthy...you can get a book out of the library and read up on them. We had many in our lives and they are the most lovable dogs, yes and in winter you need to put on a little coat jacket for them, as they are indoor dogs, don't leave them outside the whole day. When it gets warmer during the day, someone, your nanny must take off the jacket for the doggie as it will get too hot...as it gets cooler in the afternoon on with the jacket again.

Reply to more advice
Posted by: Nicolai | 2008/06/20

Ps ANY bones are a killer for these dogs, from getting lodged in the throat (they tend to swallow things whole) to perforating their tummys.

Reply to Nicolai
Posted by: Nicolai | 2008/06/20

Hi Cp Mom,

Ive had a few miniature dobe's in my life and the milk can make their tummy run. I gave my little Millie pronutra mixed with water and then onto puppy pellets from Pedigree. The basic thing with this breed is they should be inside as they are lap dogs, need to be covered with a blanket or they dont sleep, and trained to be social early...trust me they can be such yappers you wouldnt believe! I always give her bits and bobs while cooking, snacks here and there. Shes ten now, and in perfect health. Good luck, they really are lovely little dogs.

Reply to Nicolai
Posted by: dog lover | 2008/06/20

Don't give the dog milk. If its still a puppy you need to buy special puppy pellets and puppy tinned food.

Take dog to the vet for innoculations and let the vet advise you.

Your daughter must be careful with a miniature dachsie as their backs can give problems....so she must be careful when lifting the dog....and don't allow them to jump up too much...

Reply to dog lover
Posted by: Kay in Gtown | 2008/06/20

Hi CP Mom
I know cats are lactose-intolerant, but not sure about dogs. I know my cats tolerate yoghurt, I think because the cultures in it have broken down the lactose or something - maybe the same is true for dogs?

Reply to Kay in Gtown