Question
Posted by: shell | 2011/09/12

Son''s agression

My son - 8yrs now, has anger issues - he seems to be angry at the drop of a hat - he is ADD, he saw a physi last year to assist with this and he imporved a lot - but lately he seems so angry again...he tells me he knows that its not necessary but doesnt know why he gets like that.
he talks in a nasty way especailly to me (divorced 2 half years ago - seldom sees Dad as he is in JHB, but I do phone him so my son can talk to him - we have a good frienship) Im in relationship and have been for 2 years, son loves him so no issue there.
but he just seems like he is nagry with life _ I think he misses Dad a lot,he asks to go live there - dont think he realises that he wouldnt see me so often. can u suggest any books I can read to help me to help him to deal with what bothers him?

Pleased to hear he apparently improved, as I don't understand why or how a physio would help genuine ADD. And now you say he is angry "again". Sometimes a largely placebo response wears off.
I wonder whether the real issues are involved with anger about the divorce and his relationships with you and his dad. I would think, before starting on books ( though maybe other readers of this forum can recommend some they have found useful ) an asessment and some advice from a child psychologist would be more useful ?

3
Posted by: Shell | 2011/09/12

Thanks for the info but a specialist peadiatrician - who is ADHD himself diagnosed my son so he is deff ADD, the anger seems to be from otehr issues - was hoping soneone had read or knew of some good books as guidance on dealing with anger in children
thanks

Reply to Shell
Posted by: Eric | 2011/09/12

I think something else could be going on here. You are not very clear on what type of medical person diagnosed ADD. Often kids are wrongly diagnosed with ADD. Some kids have anger and rage because they have Tourettes or Aspergers Syndrome and ADD is also present in these conditions. Or they are acting up because they have some other need that is not being met. The fact that you say he does''nt know why he is like that should tell you to dig a bit further into whats going on...

Reply to Eric