Posted by: PREGNANT GIRLFRIEND | 2009-02-06

My son' s girlfriend is pregnant, he is 18 and she is 19. He is currently in college and she will attend after baby is born. Should I help financially? Should I let them live with me? They are currently in a dump struggling and it is her 1st trimester. I want the baby be healthy but what is the right thing to do to make them become responsible parents?

Expert ImageTeen expert

I am sure you are struggling with such a difficult situation right now, and what is the right decision to make. Whilst them becoming responsible parents is vital, if they can live in better conditions not only will that be better for the baby, it may also reduce their stress and enable them to become better parents.

Just ensure you don't always end up quite literally holding the baby - and certain boundaries about what you will or will not do are better established from the beginning. Discussing these things now before the baby arrives would be better than waiting.