Posted by: Callie | 2009-08-13

Son' s feet

My 16 month old son has very wide, flat feet. He is a big boy and is about a child size six shoe already. The problem is that I can' t seem to find shoes that will fit him. His feet are too wide for the normal shoes found in the shops, the only ones are the soft leather baby shoes but they are now too small. What shoes are the best for a child of this age? Is it best to let him be barefoot when ever possible and do you think that there may be a problem with his feet?

Expert ImageArchive

Dear Callie

The most important thing with young children is to check if there walking development is age appropriate. If your son is walking and standing as well as other children his age I would not be too concerned about the size and shape of his feet right now. Barefoot is fine, as far as his shoes go they should not be too constrictive and should allow the foot to move naturally. There is a limited ramge of shoes available in size 6 but the choice will get better as his feet grow.