Question
Posted by: Widowed Mom | 2010/01/22

Son' s anger outbursts

My 20 something is living with me for financial reasons. He and his girlfriend of a few years broke off 18 months ago. He started drinking and had me worried about his safety constantly. About 6 months ago they got together again and soon afterwards got engaged. He was a changed man and I could sleep at nigth again. Unfortunately this did not last long. Since end November he has these terrible anger outbursts. He has his own business and as everywhere in the country he sometimes struggles to make ends meet. Unfortunately he then takes it out on his girlfriend and me. He doesn' t physically abuse us but screams and shouts and swears at us when the smallest thing goes wrong or is not up to his expectations.What can we do about this and is it " curable" ? (He does not drink at this stage)

Its good that he's not drinking at this stage. He could probably benefit, if it could be arranged, from CBT style counselling to help him deal with stress and anger in more useful ways. Many people don't handle stress well, and develop a short fuse and then take it out on others when they feel uneasy. There are better and more fruitful ways for them to react, which they can learn.

1