Question
Posted by: Jojo | 2012/03/07

Son with no confidence

Hi Doc, my son is in Gr 1 this year. He''s very intelligent, reading writing well and top of his class so far. Emotionally he''s a wreck!
He''s prone to bursting into tears for silly reasons i.e. this morning when I dropped him off for school, the little side gate was locked and he had to walk to the main gate to get across the road (with me there). He burst into tears and was almost hysterical with panic.
Last night I didn''t sign his homework book but promised to do it before I went to bed as I had to go out. I did do it and have never reneged on any promises to him - yet the first thing he asked me this morning was have I signed his book.

He panics if things don''t go his way or if for some reason something is not in his routine. I have a younger son of 4 who is so confident and bubbly and I''m just wracking my brains trying to figure out what I as a mother have done wrong to have a child with such low esteem or confidence.

Like I said he''s really a clever little boy and I try not to pressure him to be the best, but to enjoy everything he does. It just breaks my heart to know that he''s so lacking in confidence and with him crying so often I''m scared that he''s going to get bullied at school soon.

I have spoken to a Gr 2 teacher friend of mine who''s explained that Gr 1 is so new and different for kids and it''s a whole new way of life for them and to give him time to settle, but surely there must be something else we can do to help him learn confidence.

Your advice would be greatly appreciated because I really hate to see my little boy so distraught at such silly little things (to us), but huge emotions for him!

Maybe he's a bit obsessive, in terms of personality - like kids who may have a form of autosim, they are also most upset when aspects of their routine or plans change. Maybe let him see a child psychologist ( maybe the school can recommend one ) for assessment, to be sure what would be the best way to help him through this phase

1